The Mustangs have concluded the year with a 26-11 record and both a district and regional championship. The team also traveled to Cary, N.C. to participate in the prestigious National High School Invitational.
The class of 2016 featured six players who will continue their baseball careers at the college level next year, two of which started all four years on varsity.
• Ayrton Schafer (4 year varsity player) – Samford University
• Jack Kenley (4 year varsity player) – University of Arkansas
• Cooper Bullough- Union University
• Conrad Ray- Arkansas State University
• Cullen Ray- Arkansas State University
• Preston Collins – Walters State Community College
The class helped contribute to back-to-back state appearances in 2014 and 2015, a feat that had not been accomplished in HHS history.
Also, they achieved a 7-1 record against crosstown rivals Collierville and Germantown this year. Coach McCarter and Coach Day realize the impact this class left, and acknowledge that the torch has been passed down to the underclassman.
Coach Day said, “This team had potential, but in the end your toughest opponents make you live up to it. It was a great four-year run by the senior class. They went to State two out of the four years and even the State Championship in 2014.”